When you have about 25 kids in class, it’s easy to use a lot of resources. I’ve complied 10 ways to be an eco-friendly teacher, just in case any of these might be slipped into your busy day. (=
1. Turn lights off when leaving the classroom.
2. Try not to make unnecessary copies, etc.
3. Recycle food boxes, school supply boxes, etc.
(Take things home to recycle if your school doesn’t recycle everything).
4. Choose read alouds that promote being good to the earth. Here are a couple of lesser know books I’d recommend: 2030, Polar Bear, Why Is Your World Melting?
5. If you’re giving kids gifts or rewards, try not to give them too many plastic toys, etc. Try to give consumables like pencils, pens, treats, etc. and life rewards like free time, etc.
6. Repurpose containers to use in the classroom.
7. Use natural items like beans and popsicle sticks for math manipulatives.
8. Give used crayons and school supplies, etc. to kids to take home instead of throwing in the trash at the end of the year.
9. Laminate some materials so you don’t have to make copies over and over.
10. Take a recycling bin on field trips for recyclable items.
Do you have any other suggestions for being a green teacher?
Thank you for whatever you do, no matter how small! Every little bit helps!