Big Green Purse by Diane MacEachern is an oldie, but a goodie. Not super old, but it was published in 2008. The advice is still excellent today. Especially with all that’s happening environmentally in our country, I think it’s extremely important to use our spending power to be consumer activists. Every time we buy or don’t buy certain products, we’re making our voices heard.
Some of my favorite ways to use my spending power in a way that’ll help the planet are:
- Buy locally when possible
- Choose organic as often as possible
- Take note of which companies and brands show they care about the environment and buy from them
- Write companies to tell them why I may or may not buy their product, depending on their eco practices, including packaging, etc.
- Plan meals that use less meat or no meat
- Purchase some items second hand
- Repair broken items instead of throwing them away
- Sew torn clothes, dog toys, etc.
Of course, Big Green Purse has many more ideas as well!
What about you? How do you use your spending power to help the earth?